Follow this Safe Work Procedure when refueling any item of powered equipment.
What are the minimum operator requirements?
Operator must be under direct supervision until assessed as competent by person in charge of the workplace.
What equipment do you need?
- Gloves (optional)
- Eye protection (optional)
- Refuel equipment in well ventilated area.
- Park equipment on level ground whenever possible. Shut off engine.
- Never remove the fuel cap or refuel with the engine running or hot.
- Do not smoke while fueling equipment. Avoid all ignition sources.
- Ensure fuel is proper fuel type for the equipment.
- Maintain control of the fuel filler pipe nozzle.
- Fuel tanks should not overflow and no fuel should be spilled.
- Ensure nozzle is empty prior to removing nozzle from tank.
- Ensure cap is properly tightened after fueling.
- Mop up any spilt fuel with a rag before restating equipment.
- If the originally fuel tank cap is lost, replace it with an approved cap.
What are the risks?