Follow this Safe Work Procedure when working by yourself in a remote location. A remote location is defined as more than 30 minutes’ walk from a means of communication and/or assistance.
What are the minimum operator requirements?
Worker must be under direct supervision until assessed as competent by person in charge of the workplace.
What equipment do you need?
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment that is appropriate to the task
- First aid kit
- Cell phone or 2-way radio (if communications can be achieved from location of work)
What do you need to do?
- Ensure a nominated person knows where you are going and what time you will be back. Confirm that they will come and look for you if you are not back within 30 minutes of that time
- Take clothing appropriate to weather
- Take a cell phone or radio if either device works in the area you are working
- Self-monitor for fatigue, heat or cold related illness
- Do not undertake a task if there is a risk you cannot complete it safely
- Do not move to a new area without first advising your nominated person of this change
What are the risks?
Incapacitation through injury or illness.