When using any farm vehicles (not including tractors, motorised plant, side x sides, quad bikes or motorbikes), follow this Safe Work Procedure. Refer to the operator’s manual, if necessary, prior to operating the vehicle.
What are the minimum operator requirements?
- Driver must be under direct supervision until assessed as competent by person in charge of the workplace
- If driving on a public road, driver must hold a Class 1 Driver License (car license)
- Driver must have been trained in the correct use of recovery equipment
What equipment do you need?
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required, depending on the task the vehicle is being used for (i.e. spraying)
- Spare wheel and change equipment
- Recovery equipment
- Check the vehicle before operation and ensure it has been correctly maintained
- Use seat belt where fitted
- Drive to the conditions and your level of ability
- Scan ahead for obstacles/hazards
- If in doubt of route, find another one or go back
- Do not exceed manufacturer’s specifications (i.e. fording, load and towing limits)
- Ensure that loads are well secured and not able to move
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions when using specialised recovery equipment
- Remove keys after use to prevent unauthorised access (i.e. children)
What are the risks?
- Overturning and crushing
- Collisions with other motor vehicles or objects