Numerous rewarding career opportunities exist in sheep and beef farming and the broader red meat sector. Whether you're seeking your initial job or exploring training options, we've compiled useful resources to assist you on your path.
There are many exciting careers available within sheep and beef farming and the wider red meat sector.
Many people gain work on a farm directly after leaving school. Others choose to study first at a university, polytechnic or a cadet farm. The variety of positions and types of work within, and directly related to sheep and beef farming is huge.
- Employment Hub: as part of B+LNZ's commitment to supporting, growing, training and retaining people in our sector, we’ve developed this hub to assist farm owners, managers and employees at every stage of their employment journey.
- Unsure what career you want to take?
- Check out the Opportunity Grows Here website for more information about careers, training and links to jobs available in our primary industries.
- Together with Primary ITO/Te Pukenga we have developed a snapshot of some of the career development and pathways throughout the sheep and beef sector. Download the flyer (PDF, 112 KB).
- Scholarships database: Know someone looking to study or train in our industry? There is a handy list of scholarship opportunities available in the food and fibre sectors on the Ministry for Primary Industries website.
- See our Events Calendar for field days and workshops in your area.
- B+LNZ’s Knowledge Hub: a repository of tools and resources, including podcasts, videos and learning modules. It has a huge range of material from farmers and other industry experts to help you get the information you need to make more informed decisions.