We know that competition in the meat market is strong and new competitors are emerging. This means that as a sector we need to work harder than anyone else in the world markets – we need to know our consumers better than anyone else.
Gathering market intelligence
As a sector we need better intelligence on the major food trends around the world, we need to understand the market segments that are growing and what type of consumer is purchasing through them.
This is the information we’re uncovering through our market research.
Understanding our consumers
To effectively connect the Red Meat Story to consumers, B+LNZ Programme Lead for Market Research and Consumer Insight, Gareth Williams, says we need an in-depth understanding of who our end consumers are.
“This helps us identify the needs of the specific consumer segments that offer the most potential for growth.”
We need to understand the values, needs and motivations of these consumers, what is making them tick, what’s important to them, and what type of experience they expect when they purchase premium food products.
Effective use of our knowledge
Our ability to generate and effectively use this knowledge is a key component of our future market development programme. We'll use these insights to alert the consumer to how well our product matches their needs.
We’re going to:
- Quantify markets to highlight opportunities and differences and articulate their needs
- Validate and test the Red Meat Story
- Identify innovation opportunities by
- Assessing the size of various segments and prioritising opportunities accordingly
- Identifying segments where needs are not being met and where we could meet those needs
- Create a platform for predicting the trends and needs of tomorrow’s consumer.