This platform allows all graduating participants of the Beef + Lamb New Zealand Generation Next Programme to stay connected, informed and up-skilled.
Links to resources mentioned on the programme, copies of handouts and recordings from online presentations can be accessed here. Simply search for the class year you were part of to find resources associated with your programme.
Alumni discussions – keep connected with each other
Keep connected with other alumni, share your experiences and ask each other questions through our online forum on Moodle. You will be sent information on how to access the online forum including your username and password.
To start using the Generation Next Programme Alumni online forum, login via the button below.
If there’s any content you believe is missing or would like to see, please email email@example.com
- https://beeflambnz.com/knowledge-hub – the Knowledge Hub has a huge range of material from industry experts to help you make more informed decisions.
- https://beeflambnz.com/action-groups – are you part of an Action Group? Forming or joining an Action Group is a great way for farmers to put their ideas into action, make positive changes on-farm and improve business productivity and profitability.
- https://beeflambnz.com/news-views – catch up on all our latest news by exploring the tiles below. Keen to have your say on the latest issues? Check out our polls and consultations.
- https://beeflambnz.com/events – check out upcoming events in your region to be part of.
- https://beeflambnz.com/tastepurenature – Taste Pure Nature is New Zealand’s red meat story and origin brand.
- https://farmstrong.co.nz – Farmstrong is a nationwide wellbeing programme for the rural community. Their aim is to help you live well to farm well.
These six-monthly newsletters will keep alumni updated on any changes to content, upcoming events you may be interested in and stories from other alumni and where they are now.
First newsletter coming soon.
Check out some of the podcasts recommended by participants of the programme:
- Scene + Herd podcasts, Beef + Lamb New Zealand – A great way for farmers to tune into interesting topics while keeping busy on-farm.
- Country Life, Radio New Zealand – Takes you down country roads to meet ordinary people achieving their dreams.
- Rural News, Radio New Zealand – A fast and easy way to engage with Rabobank’s latest research findings and industry developments.
- Rabobank Food & Agribusiness podcast – a fast and easy way to engage with Rabobank’s latest research findings and industry developments.
- Open Minded Podcast, Mentemia – Hosted by Sir John Kirwan. There’s never been a more important time to take care of and fully understand mental wellbeing.
- Head Shepherd, Nextgen Agri – Mark Ferguson from neXtgen Agri brings you the latest in livestock, genetics, innovation and technology.
Recommend your must-listen-to podcasts for others using the green button below.
Apps and technology
Check out some of the apps and technology recommended by participants of the programme.
- App: Electronic Animal Status Declaration (eASD) – An online system for completing Animal Status Declarations (ASDs) for sheep, cattle and deer being sent to slaughter.
- App: Flockfinder – A free smartphone tool for commercial farmers, breeders and agricultural professionals wanting to identify breeders producing rams suitable for their purpose.
- App: Feedsmart – Helps farmers estimate the feed requirements for sheep and cattle at any time of the year and for different levels of production..
- Website and App: Mentemia – Helps you work out your daily mental wellbeing plan.
- Software: Simple Feed Budget – This B+LNZ software is a free feed budgeting tool to download and install on your computer. Quick and simple to use, it will help you work out a feed budget for all or part of your farm, for a set period of time. You can find the budget on the USB from your programme or to get another copy of this programme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Recommend apps and technology that make your job easier
From the modules
Access handouts and templates from your programme.
- Programme pre-work goal sheet (PDF, 34.6 KB)
- Copy of Workbook (PDF, 9.25 MB)
- Feed budgeting tutorial (PDF, 201.74 KB)
- FeedSmart 2 (PDF, 4.8 MB)
- Feed Smart Users Guide (PDF, 1.81 MB)
- A guide to feed planning for sheep and beef farmers (PDF, 1.45 MB)
- A core set of KPI measures for red meat farming businesses (PDF, 1.82 MB)
- Government advice on checking your own Credit Rating
- Nigel Latta’s TV episode on 'Your Money Personality'
- Knowledge Hub learning modules on stock reconciliation, budgeting and financial statements
- Knowledge Hub resources on succession
- Ian Blackman’s book “Keeping Farming in the Family”. A useful resource and digestible story that might start some conversations!
- Some more thoughts on 'What makes a Good Farmer?' (PDF, 76.3 KB). For your personal stocktake.
Class specific handouts and presentations
- North Island – Module 1 summary (PDF, 386.79 KB)
- Excel Session handout (PDF, 1.72 MB)
- Better Beef Breeding booklet (PDF, 14.3 MB)
- Generation Next personal budget template (Excel, 14.8KB)
- Tru-Test weighing and EID tracking template (Excel, 3KB)
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand Genetics
- SIL website
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand website
- Ram4Ram index value comparison
- BV acronyms (PDF, 232 KB)
- 5-steps to finding the best bull for your operation (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Better Beef Breeding (PDF, 14.3 MB)
- Beef class structural assessment
Class specific handouts and presentations
- Environmental Strategy (PDF, 4.69 MB)
- Recipes (PDF, 221.68 KB)
- Taste Pure Nature Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 604.59 KB)
- Class specific handouts and presentations:
- Greenhouse Calculator
Pre-Work module: Funded by the Red Meat Profit Partnership, the GHG Calculator is a tool for red meat farmers to measure and report on-farm GHG emissions and sequestration. It is simple, accurate and reflects the individual farm’s situation.
- Primary ITO Sheep Beef Deer Career Pathways 2022
Continue your upskilling by checking out what Primary ITO have to offer to learn while you earn.
View career pathways (PDF, 136 KB)
- OSPRI & NAIT
Upskill your Ospri and NAIT knowledge at https://www.ospri.co.nz/
- Keep compliant
Find out more about good practice and compliance in the key areas from health & safety to farm planning at https://beeflambnz.com/compliance
For questions about Generation Next:
- South Island contact Alyce Perkins – email@example.com
- North Island contact Renee Cummins – firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions about events in your area contact your local extension manager:
All other enquiries:
Contact Programme Manager Olivia Weatherburn – email@example.com
|Environment slides||2.78 MB|