Primary Industry Training Organisation (Primary ITO) offers a range of workshops, short courses, certificate and diploma programmes all designed for people who are in employment.
They have training options for people at all stages of farming – whether you're new to farming or already managing a farm.
The ITO will assess your needs and match you with the right training programme. If you take one of their longer courses, you'll come out of it with a nationally accredited qualification.
What can you study?
Some of the options availble to sheep and beef farmers include:
- New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Skills (Agriculture) (Sheep and Beef) Level 2
Vehicles, Machinery and Infrastructure
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Vehicles, Machinery and Infrastructure) Level 3
Livestock Husbandry/Sheep Husbandry
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Livestock Husbandry) (Meat & Fibre) Level 3
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Pastoral Livestock Production) Level 3
Level 4 Sheep or Beef Farming
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Livestock) Level 4
- New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Production Management Level 5
Rural Staff Management
- National Certificate in Business (First Line Management) Level 3
- New Zealand Diploma in Agribusiness Management Level 5
Introduction to Team Leadership
- New Zealand Certificate in Business (Introduction to Team Leadership) Level 3
Find out more
Visit the Primary ITO website to find out more about training options in the sheep and beef industry.
Beef + Lamb New Zealand provides funding to Primary ITO to subsidise the study costs of about 750 people each year.