Beef + Lamb New Zealand Ltd and Beef + Lamb New Zealand Inc have partnered in the Glammies and Steak or Origin since their inception. B+LNZ Ltd has been the predominant funder.
During the last six months, B+LNZ Ltd has been consulting with farmers and reviewing our strategy and revenue streams out to 2022.
Farmers identified some key priorities for investment:
- Improving the effectiveness of our research and extension activities.
- Developing and promoting the red meat story, domestically and internationally.
- Protecting existing markets (particularly BREXIT) and opening and developing new markets.
- Supporting farmers to grow their environmental reputation.
- Advocating with government and the wider public on farmers behalf particularly to lower the regulatory burden.
- Ensuring that our activities have a clear line of sight to farmer profitability.
- Focusing on fewer things and doing them better.
We have also forecast budgets out to 2022 and we are faced with reducing income.
As part of a strategic review, we have decided not to continue funding the Glammies. We will also significantly reduce funding the 2018 Steak of Origin competition.
While we acknowledge the competitions have been successful over the years and have done a great job of celebrating New Zealand’s farmers, producers and retailers, we think there are more pressing priorities that can more directly impact farmers’ bottom lines.
From a marketing and communications perspective, our key focus is on developing and activating the Red Meat Story both domestically and internationally, secondly on promoting our farmers and industry with the public of New Zealand to grow the industry’s reputation – a special area of focus will be telling farmers’ environmental story. As part of this, we will also be putting greater emphasis on a National Lamb Day promotion jointly with B+LNZ Inc.
We accept this announcement will be disappointing for some people and we haven’t taken this decision lightly.
Beef + Lamb New Zealand Inc will continue to run the Steak of Origin competition in 2018, with support from Beef + Lamb NZ Ltd and PGG Wrightson. Due to the funding reduction, some changes will be made to the current format and Beef + Lamb NZ Inc. will be in touch with entrants and partners over the next couple of months.
Thank you to the many farmers, processors, sponsors, breed associations and suppliers who have helped to make the Glammies a success.
Beef + Lamb New Zealand Ltd