Timaru turned on a couple of sunny days for us back in November for the New Zealand Grassland Association’s 78th annual conference. It was held at the arts & craft styled Carolyn Bay Hall and it felt straight out of the 1920s.
Now that Christmas and the New Year are over its time to go back and dig through your copy of the Journal of NZ Grasslands. Did you notice that of the 28 research papers presented 14 were cofunded from the sheep and beef levy. And of these ten came from the Pastoral 21 research programme (marked with an *). These papers are listed below and linked to online copies.
Amongst the plantain at Riverholme Pastures, Pleasant Point [Geoff Ridley]
- Fields RL, Barrell GK, Moot DJ. Premature mammary development in ewe lambs exposed to an oestrogenic lucerne pasture.
- Roach CG, Glassey CB, MacDonald KA. Key pasture and milksolids production indicators from two Waikato farmlets differing in inputs, stocking rate, pasture allowance and nitrate leaching.
- Rendel JM, Mackay AD, Smale PN, Vogeler I. Moving from exploring on-farm opportunities with a single to a multi-year focus: Implications for decision making.
- Schon NL, Gray RA, Mackay AD. Earthworms stimulate pasture production in sheep and beef systems: their economic value.
- Smith LC, McDowell RW, Cosgrove GP.A comparison of nutrient losses to waters following pasture renewal by cultivation or direct-drilling.
- Morris NJ, Smith MC, Mills AM, McNeill MR, Moot DJ. Insect populations of six dryland pastures grown in Canterbury.
Lucerne for ever, Rock Farm [Photo Geoff Ridley]
- Hardwick S, Ferguson CM, McCauley P, Nichol W, Kyte R, Barton DM, NcNeill MR, Philip BA, Phillips CB. Response to clover root weevil outbreaks in South Canterbury, Otago and Southland; the agricultural sector and government working together.
- Hendriks SJ, Donaghy DJ, Matthew C, Bretherton MR, Sneddon NW, Cosgrove GP, Christensen CL, Kaufononga S, Howes J, Osborne MA, Taylor PS, Hedley MJ. Dry matter yield, nutritive value and tiller density of tall fescue and perennial ryegrass swards under grazing.
- Judson HG, McKenzie S, Robinson S, Nicholls A, Moorhead AJE. Measurement techniques and yield estimates of fodder beet in Canterbury and Southland.
- Mills AM, Smith MC, Moot DJ. Relationships between dry matter yield and height of rotationally grazed dryland lucerne.
- Ferguson CM, Barton DM, Philip BA. Clover root weevil tolerance of clover cultivars.
- Hutchinson KJ, Scobie DR, Beautrais J, Mackay AD, Rennie GM, Moss RA, Dynes RA. A protocol for sampling pastures in hill country.
Derrick Moot on lucerne, Rock Farm [Photo Geoff Ridley]