B+LNZ is reviewing its vision and work around all things environment to make sure we deliver what our farmers and sector needs.
Two years ago, B+LNZ stepped up how it supports farmers in environmental management. The approach is based around working at different levels: farm, catchment, regional, national and international.
B+LNZ Environment Programme Manager Matt Harcombe says that focus has included:
- Promoting farm planning through Farm Environment Plans
- Building and supporting farmer leadership
- Working together in catchments
- Gathering data to measure progress
- Communicating our sector story
- Developing the tools, resources and knowledge that farmers need to make good decisions and benchmark
- Supporting farmer involvement in regional planning
- Working with decision makers and regulators to ensure any regulation enhances environmental management.
“There has been a fundamental shift in momentum in farmers’ awareness of environmental management, alongside increasing public and regulatory demand to see that progress,” Matt says. “So, while we’ve collectively made great progress, we need to continue evolving what we do and how we do it.”
We want to hear from you
Over the next three months, you’ll have many chances to shape B+LNZ’s environmental vision. In the meantime, go in the draw to win a day with an expert to help you turn your environmental vision into a plan for action. Simply answer these two questions (in 50 words or less) by Tuesday 25 July:
- What’s the long-term vision of success for environmental management on your farm?
- How are you going to measure or record your progress?