What are the minimum operator requirements?
Worker must be under direct supervision until assessed as competent by person in charge of the workplace.
What equipment do you need?
- Boots (or other slip resistant footwear if more appropriate)
- Equipment selected must be fit for purpose and in good working condition. Equipment that may be used to work at heights includes:
- Ladders, including fixing ropes
- Edge protection
- Mechanical access plant/equipment
- Check to see if the job can be done without working at height (i.e. use a long-handled tool)
- If using a portable ladder:
- Check it first to make sure it is in good condition and strong enough for the job
- Use the lockable spreader
- Stand ladder on firm level base
- Tie top and bottom of ladder to secure it, or get someone to hold it
- Keep three points of contact when climbing up and down the ladder
- Don’t overreach when on the ladder – move the ladder instead.
- Use a fall prevention system if it is available and you have been trained how to use it
- If you are concerned that you can’t do the work safely for whatever reason - don’t do it
What are the risks?
Where can you find more information?
WorkSafe Good Practice Guidelines “Preventing slips, trips and falls on farms”.