What are the minimum operator requirements?
- Operator must be under direct supervision until assessed as competent by person in charge of the workplace
- If riding on a public road, operator must hold a Class 6 driver license (motorcycle license)
- Children are not to operate an adult sized bike
- Operator must have sufficient weight, limb size, skill and judgement to control the bike
What equipment do you need?
Both motorcycle operator and any pillion are to wear the minimum following Personal Protective Equipment when operating a motorbike:
- Helmet (NZS 5430 or AS 1698 minimum)
- Check the bike before operation and ensure it has been correctly maintained.
- Ride to the conditions and your level of ability
- Ride actively (shift body position to maintain stability)
- Scan ahead for obstacles/hazards
- Do not exceed bike’s carrying capacity
- Only use attachments (i.e. trailers) that are designed for use with your motorbike
- If in doubt of route, find another one
What are the risks?
- Collisions with other motor vehicles or objects
- Crushing through rolling over or flipping
Find out more
WorkSafe Good Practice Guidelines “Safe use of two-wheeled motorbikes on farms”