What are the minimum operator requirements?
- Operator must be under direct supervision until assessed as competent by person in charge of the workplace.
- Operator must have sufficient weight, limb size, skill and judgement to control the equipment being used.
What equipment do you need?
- Personal Protective Equipment is to be worn as required by equipment operator instructions
- First aid kit
- When working on the farm alone, refer to the Lone Worker Safe Work Procedure
- Only use equipment if it is suitable for the task
- Be familiar with the owner’s manual and all safety decals on the equipment being used
- Ensure the equipment has been maintained as per manufacturer’s instructions
- Do not remove equipment guards or safety devices
- Check that equipment is safe to use
- Remove or tuck away any items from your person that may get caught in the machines moving parts. This includes long hair, jewelry, loose clothing, etc.
- Follow equipment safety procedures
- If working with another person, arrange a method of keeping each other safe before starting work
- Do not mount or dismount a moving machine
- Do not carry out any work on the equipment (including removing blockages) while it is under power, including that from other sources
- Use correct ballast when using 3-point linkages or towed implements
What are the risks?