What are the minimum operator requirements?
Worker must be physically capable of completing the manual task being asked of him/her
What equipment do you need?
- Gloves (if appropriate to task)
- Any equipment that may safely and practically assist the worker to complete the task.
- Do not lift objects that are too big or heavy for you.
- Use good technique when lifting (i.e. use legs, not back).
- Break loads down into smaller sizes if possible.
- Request assistance if needed.
- When doing repetitive work, change tasks around or take regular breaks to give muscles a rest.
- Use a machine or equipment for the task if practical and safe to do so.
What are the risks?
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Serious back injuries
- Acute injuries (cuts, broken bones, sprains, etc.)
Find out more
WorkSafe Good Practice Guidelines “Preventing manual handling injuries on farms”.