What are the minimum operator requirements?
- Rider must be under direct supervision until assessed as competent by the person in charge of the workplace.
- Rider is to ride a horse matched to their ability.
What equipment do you need?
Riding helmet (AS/NZS 3838 minimum).
- Approach the horse calmly and from a direction where they can see you.
- Do not wrap equipment attached to your horse around your body.
- Check tack/riding equipment condition before saddling up.
- Check girth strap before mounting.
- Use a mounting block or raised ground to mount if necessary.
- Get off and walk the horse if terrain becomes difficult or steep.
- One person per horse.
- Do not jump a horse if in doubt of ability of either rider or horse.
- Carry wire cutters if jumping fences.
- Only ride on the road if the horse is used to traffic.
- Wash your hands after you have finished handling the horse.
What are the risks?
Find out more
WorkSafe Good Practice Guidelines “Riding Horses on Farms”.